FoS, PoS, HoR

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FoS, PoS, HoR

Post  Gevlon on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:54 am

Since there are already enough active players at 80 and more will definitely reach it by Saturday, this Saturday, at the published raidtime (19:00-22:00) we'll do the 5-man ICC instances.

Terrible PuGs are doing it, I don't see that we could fail even with sub-optimal group composition. As we'll most probably won't have a priest or a paladin, I'll bring runescroll of fortitude and drums of forgotten kings. The raider tab of the bank will have enough flasks for every role.

I'll also bring great feast, but you should bring some own food in the case of you die alone.

Please comment if you are interested. Please also comment if you think it's better to run them on normal first, or shall we go HC at the first time.

You have to be "raider" to come, having enchanted-gemmed blue gear and at least one (preferably two) profession bonuses. As always, I provide 1000G upon promotion for the profession. I can also sell ink of the sea for 3G in case you choose to level inscription (see post on Tuesday at greedygoblin.blogspot.com). I can also enchant your newly gained blue gear before the run.

WoWwiki has a nice summary of information about the bosses/strategies.

Last edited by Gevlon on Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gevlon
Greedy Goblin
Greedy Goblin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FoS, PoS, HoR

Post  Gevlon on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:23 am

After reading all boss strategies, it seems that none of them has enrage timers but all have nasty amount of magic damage that can be problematic with healing. As all 5-mans, they are designed to test the tank and the healer, allowing the DPS to slack, since most DPS players of the game are drooling idiots.

This gives us the opportunity to trivialize the content with 1 tank 2 healers 2 DPS. What do you think?

Gevlon
Greedy Goblin
Greedy Goblin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azeulisse on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:51 pm

First boss in FoS has mechanic that heals him, it might act as dps check. Also, whole HoR is timed - it actually needs a lot of dps.

Azeulisse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mundy on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Looks like you guys are waaaay ahead of the US, we don't even have a level 80 yet.

Mundy

View user profile http://lmundy.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Hanibal on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:22 am

1st boss in FOS is easy. He "just" heals so you have to dps him longer. HOR can be actually a problem because 1st boss does tons of dmg and stacks -dmg debuff.

Hanibal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gevlon on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Now (Thursday evening) we have only 2 raiders + me. That's not enough for even a 5-man. It's surprising because we have enough 80-es and most of them have gear and I assume experience to become raider. Don't be shy! The worse thing that could happen at the dummies is that I give some advices and you try again couple of days later.

If we don't have enough raiders by tomorrow (Friday), ICC5 will be postponed to next Saturday, I'm not a big fan of last minute actions. I'll be online between 18:30 and 20:00 several times, catch me for promotion.

Gevlon
Greedy Goblin
Greedy Goblin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopsui on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:07 am

Reason I haven't bugged you about it is because I wasn't 100% sure about my role yet (still am not), and because I haven't been able to play much at 80 yet due to RL stuff. Perhaps tomorrow I'll have more time to get some blue gear going, right now I'm still running around in both tanking and dps gear =)

Chopsui

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Emancro on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:51 pm

I haven't tried to become a raider yet, because I'm ashamed of my DPS.
Yes, it's really that bad

Emancro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gevlon on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:24 am

If we check DPS at the dummy, the following things can happen:

- You figure out it's not that bad at all. Blue gear have serious effect on unbuffed DPS. I mean you get relatively more stats from buffs than "normal" geared people. So it's usual to see your DPS doubled in even a 10 man group. I myself make pitiful 2.5K on the dummy, since I can't even use molten armor if I don't want to get OOM in a minute. With replenishment I can switch: +400 DPS!

- Your DPS is really low. But this case we can conjure up some solution. Sitting silently won't increase your DPS! For example I could tell Emancro that:
* running around with 0 enchants and gems is usually a bad idea. You have rep for shoulder enchant and head enchant.
* if he has 450 JC, than having a JC trinket instead of a green one would make magic
* collecting 999 exalted ebon blade rep was a waist. By changing tabard you could gain wyrmrest accord to honored (2x Fang of Truth), Kirin tor to revered (Mind-Expanding Leggings)
* you choose MM spec, which scales the most with gear. Both BM and Surv gives more DPS in blue gear

Gevlon
Greedy Goblin
Greedy Goblin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Osobuco on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm

I guess most dps are thinking "hell, I didnt bring this toon to 80 be kicked out for poor dps" or "hell, I want to contribute to Undergeared so I dont wanna be kickout for poor dps" and dont ask for a promotion.

This approach of "if you fail at dummy we'll look into whats going on" rather than "if you fail at dummy gtfo" should tranquilize the dpses staring shyly from the corners. After all none of these classes are our mains...

PD: I'm gonna be tank but I can see the concern

Osobuco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Emancro on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:30 pm

I know that I could increase my DPS without much effort, enchanting, gemming and getting some of the BiS stuff I've been looking at. But comparing my DPS to what rawr, and various spreadsheets calculates it to, I'm disappointed. I'm doing app. 33% less DPS than what i'm supposed to...

also I'm usually BM but tried changing to both MM and SV to see if I gained any DPS

Emancro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gnomeofzurich on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:47 am

Is that what you are supposed to do on a dummy? or with normal raid buffs?

It makes a huge difference.

For reference, the same thing will be true on the US side, with respect to training/promotion runs. If you aren't there yet, that doesn't mean to go away, it means to work on what you are doing until you have improved and want to be tested again.

The big issue I will have is with people who appear to have done zero homework, or who don't get that they need to improve when they do, and keep coming back to test without really doing anything usefully different.

Doing less dps than you should on the dummies, or making errors in a tank/heal trial run are fixable mistakes.

Asking for suggestions: good.

Trying all kinds of things, including things that will fail: good.

Doing the same thing that doesn't work over and over and expecting different results: bad.

Your typical slacker does this last, and blizzard and guildies who aren't willing to kick them, eventually carry them to having enough gear that their unconsidered play ends up getting workable results. This is what we have to avoid, since we won't have the gear to carry people who are more than a hair's breadth behind where they should be.

gnomeofzurich
US Moderator
US Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopsui on Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:51 pm

Aye, I ended up doing the dummy test still with 4 or 5 tanking items in my gear, and stuff unenchanted. In heroics I had been doing between 2200-2800 dps in that gear, and on the dummy it was 1800 or so. It wasn't for a lack of working on gear (100+ triumph badges now I think, and 1 blue upgrade ...) but just a stretch of bad luck. Gevlon saw through that, although I have to say that the lack of gtfo if you failed the dummy test did make me do it faster. I figured if I'd fail, I wouldn'tve levelled this dk to 80 for nothing just yet.

regards,

Chopsui

Chopsui

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gevlon on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Oh dear, you were collected BiS silently to avoid my wrath? If it wouldn't be forbidden to write a 3 letters emote, I would.

The gtfo at dummies are for 800 DPS spellpower hunters, not people who have to improve a little.

Just think: why would I kick anyone who has some potential? Does a "member" cost me anything? I did not even kick 2 weeks inactive players. They are just a name in the list, they cost me (or the project) nothing. And you could have done dummy test alone and ask "what would happen if someone would do 1650 DPS on the dummy"?

Sometimes I'm really surprised how did the mankind avoided extinction.

News bulletin: I'm even collecting JC tokens to craft a hard-to get ring to a DK who asked for it (granted, I expect profit from selling the same ring on the AH, but still).

I NEED YOU for the project. I would be stupid if I'd kick you unless you are a useless idiot. I had my share of those too. Like:
- "hi, cud u inv me to guld"
- "why do you want to join the project?"
- "I dun have guld lol wanna be with ppl"
And I'm having this conversation 4-5 times a day. Sometimes with the same people as yesterday.

Another thing: you don't need to collect BiS blues. +0.02% DPS does not matter. You can have a relatively good set and you might improve it on the run. In blue Ulduar I did not even had meta. Half of my gear was ilvl 180. My trinket was green. And Yogg hit the ground.

WOW IS AN EASY CASUAL GAME, YOU DON'T HAVE TO MAKE SERIOUS EFFORT TO BEAT IT. Being non-idiot is enough.

Gevlon
Greedy Goblin
Greedy Goblin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum